Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled out before submitting.
TOMZ Corporation, a leader in manufacturing of devices and components for major medical device companies, is looking for a Finishing Department Manager to join our organization. TOMZ offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including 401k, health/dental, vision, and paid time off. TOMZ maintains a modern, clean, and safe facility with state-of-the-art equipment and dedication to continuous process improvement. TOMZ is registered with the FDA as a Class 2 and Class 3 Medical Device Manufacturer and is certified to ISO 13485.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The position is responsible for leading a team with a focus on maintaining the highest level of operational performance and quality possible within various manual and mechanical metal finishing and chemical finishing operations – Heat Treating, Bending, Laser Welding, Assembly and Laser Marking of finished good devices and instruments – at TOMZ. This position is responsible for defining and building the team; ensuring that the proper tools and training are in place for the team; and coaching and providing oversight to ensure the success of the team.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Define Department structure and build a team geared toward success.
- Ensure that staffing and resource levels are aligned with the needs of the department and that resources are deployed strategically to best utilize their capabilities.
- Ensure that members of the department are properly trained and are equipped to be successful in meeting or exceeding the expectations of their given role.
- Ensure that department schedules are aligned to consistently achieve the required level of output.
- Ensure that equipment is maintained per preventive maintenance schedules and coordinate outside service or support as required to keep equipment in good repair.
- Coach, mentor, and manage members of the department.
- Monitor and maintain the performance records and document development plans through the performance review process for employees within the department.
- Engage all members of the department and encourage a strategic, collaborative, problem solving environment focused on continuous improvement and driving new best practices.
- Ensure adherence to company policy and expectations regarding start and end times for the shift and defined break times, and compliance to all Quality requirements.
- Maintain attendance records and manage requests for time off within the department.
- Monitor and maintain the Labor entries, review process standards.
- Prioritize workflow per the Master Schedule. Measure and maintain Department performance objectives such as on time delivery (schedule adherence), production efficiency, scrap rate, and training matrix completion, or other as deemed appropriate by senior management.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum 4-year degree or equivalent of directly transferrable industry work experience (Engineering discipline preferred).
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in a manufacturing or engineering role showing career advancement with increased responsibility, in a regulated manufacturing environment.
- Minimum of 3 years of supervisory/coaching experience.
- Ability to read and understand and train/coach general finishing operations per company procedures, work instructions, and best practices.
- Medical Device or other regulated manufacturing experience (Aerospace, Defense, Pharma., etc.)
- Knowledge of, and experience with, cGMP/ISO Standards.
- Strong verbal and written English language communication skills.
- Demonstrate ability and/or experience in computer use and general office software – Microsoft Office (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds while moving components, fixtures, equipment and/or small packages. The employee will be working with and around and directing others on the safe handling of hazardous chemicals that may require use of personal protective equipment (supplied by TOMZ). The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.