Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled out before submitting.
TOMZ Corporation, a leader in manufacturing of devices and components for major medical device companies, is looking for a motivated Continuous Improvement Engineer to join our organization. TOMZ offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including 401k, health/dental, vision and paid time off. TOMZ maintains a modern, clean, and safe facility with state-of-the-art equipment and dedication to continuous process improvement. TOMZ is registered with the FDA as a Class 2 and Class 3 Medical Device Manufacturer and is certified to ISO 13485.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the head of engineering, this position seeks to minimize waste and variation through Lean and Six Sigma approaches, leading to improved production processes and systems. The Continuous Improvement Engineer (CI) is responsible for identifying and leading execution of a wide range of Continuous Improvement projects. The IE leads, facilitates, executes, and manages team training initiatives and projects. The IE will utilize knowledge of COGs, gross margin, facility design, material handling equipment, labor management, staff planning and project management to identify, quantify, prioritize and recommend improvement projects that align with organizational goals and objectives. TOMZ manufactures parts via high precision metal machining, finishing, assembly, and anodize processes for Medical Devices.
- Participates in identification and planning of department goals and implementation of initiatives intended to improve quality, cost and delivery.
- Serves as an engaging and collaborative teacher/trainer providing internal standardized lean training and consulting support for Lean & Six Sigma tools, data mining and presentation with heavy emphasis on MS Excel.
- Supports the philosophy of waste reduction through implementation of Lean and Six Sigma approaches within the organization.
- Utilizes tools and methodologies including, but not limited to: time studies, line balancing, setup time reductions, line layout creation, flow improvement, 5S, standard work, visual factory improvements and accountability systems.
- Collaborates with cross-functional teams.
- Evaluates, designs, and implements new production line and facility layouts.
- Leads and/or facilitates A3 projects and teams.
- Collaborates with others on Key Process Indicator development and implementation.
- Seeks out continuous improvement opportunities, weighs their value based on benefit, investment, and risk, and prioritizes work accordingly.
- Participates in project work to help customers and operators achieve sustainable results.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to travel if needed.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years experience within a regulated high-volume manufacturing industry (preferably in a Medical Device or Aerospace Manufacturer).
- Maintain high attention to detail.
- Demonstrate ability to identify, lead and execute process improvements.
- Possess analytical problem solving and project management skills.
- Adapt and accept changes in the field of lean manufacturing.
- Drive to maintain the most updated knowledge, and latest developments, within the engineering field.
- Dedicated team worker and individual contributor to a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Influence and engage others to accomplish projects.
- Maintain clear communication of ideas in both written and oral forms to all levels of the organization.
- Strong organizational abilities; can multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines in timely manner.
- Microsoft Excel proficiency.
- Six Sigma or Lean Certification (ASQ or IASSC) preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds while moving components, fixtures, equipment and/or small packages. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.