Title: Sr. CNC Programmer
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) must be filled out before submitting.
TOMZ Corporation, a leader in manufacturing of devices and components for major medical device companies, is looking for a motivated Sr. CNC Programmer to join our organization. TOMZ offers competitive compensation and excellent benefits, including 401k, health/dental, vision, and paid time off. TOMZ maintains a modern, clean, and safe facility with state-of-the-art equipment and dedication to continuous process improvement. TOMZ is registered with the FDA as a Class 2 and Class 3 Medical Device Manufacturer and is certified to ISO 13485.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Reporting to the programming supervisor, this position will support the organization’s Turning and Milling operations of complex medical devices through new development projects as well as optimization of existing legacy programs. Will work in cross functional teams to drive continuous improvement and ensure production objectives are met, including, but not limited to: programming for new product development, optimization of legacy programs for improved throughput, standardization of programs to current best practices, and research and implementation of new tooling and process technology.
- Apply knowledge of machining characteristics to a variety of materials, in both hardened and non-hardened states including (but not limited to): Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Titanium, and medical grade plastics such as PEEK.
- Develop and maintain CNC programs, set up instructions and tool data sheets as needed for Swiss-style, Mill, Lathe and EDM equipment
- Work with all related CAD, CAM, and ancillary software programs
- Work with Development and Manufacturing Engineers to develop production and fabrication strategies by assisting in the selection of cutting tools, work holding fixtures, identifying sequence of operations, and recommending specific production equipment.
- Work with business development to estimate programming, setup, and run times for quoting purposes.
- Lead cost reduction projects through the utilization of Lean Manufacturing principles.
- Lead set-up and the operation of machinery during setup, to verify the accuracy of machine settings ensuring functionality and performance.
- Verifies settings and program code by measuring positions, first-run part, and sample work pieces adhering to TOMZ standards.
- Support the operations personnel to improve setup instructions to facilitate process improvement as well as increase production efficiency.
- Edit existing CNC programming code, per established company procedures.
- Lead tool life studies.
- Assist in Tooling Design, special machinery and/or equipment required for production
- Provide technical advice and assistance to manufacturing and design engineers, and vendors.
- Accomplishes organization goals by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests (cross training), exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- May supervise Programmers
- Maintain compliance by executing internal policies, procedures, and all related paperwork under ISO/FDA guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma (Bachelor’s Degree preferred) with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience in a regulated engineering/manufacturing environment with mechanical, tool design, and manufacturing processes preferred (preferably in a Medical Device or Aerospace Manufacturer)
- Ability to apply logic and reasoning to solve complex problems.
- Strong CNC programming experience.
- Ability to read and understand raw CNC programming code.
- Strong knowledge of NC Code, Tooling, and Manufacturing Process.
- Knowledge of CAD/CAM software (SolidWorks and Esprit preferred).
- General knowledge of drafting concepts, and of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Knowledge of Quality Control inspection techniques.
- Experience in setting up and operating multi-axis CNC equipment.
- Experience with processing a variety of metallic and non-metallic materials.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office software products.
- Effective communication to all levels of internal and external customers.
- Strong verbal and written English language communication skills.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and/or hear, and/or use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand, and/or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds while moving components, fixtures, equipment and/or small packages. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.